University Park, IL–(ENEWSPF)– Celebrate the beginning of summer on June 19 at the Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park at Governors State University.
Sol-a-Bration 2010, taking place from 2 to 5 p.m. at the sculpture park, will have something for summertime fans of all ages. Admission and parking are free and a number of exciting events are planned, said NMSP director and curator Geoffrey Bates.
“This is a chance to have fun in the outdoors as summer returns, with our art work at the center of the celebration,” Bates said. “We’ll have music and lots of family-oriented games. Be sure to wear your play clothes!”
- Performances by the Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra Brass Quintet, the Prairie State College Jazz Band, and the South Suburban Dulcimer and Folk Music Society
- Kite-flying , with kits provided
- Snow Cone Sculptures out of shaved ice
- Drawing materials for young people will be available
- Photographers can enter their pictures of NMSP sculptures in a contest
- Sculpturing opportunities for kids
- A body rolling derby on one of the sculpture park hills
Bob Emser, an internationally recognized artist, will assemble a temporary sculpture
Food will be available for purchase at the GSU cafeteria, which will be open during Sol-a-bration. Water and soft drinks will be also be sold in the sculpture park. Golf carts will be on hand for persons who have trouble getting around the sculpture park.
The Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park is located on the campus of Governors State University in University Park. For information about Sol-a-Bration events, including times for the musical performances, visit the NMSP website at www.govst.edu/sculpture.