CHICAGO—(ENEWSPF)—November 14, 2017
By: Rosemary Piser
Today, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced that the Chicago Riverwalk was selected as one of thirteen global winners of the Urban Land Institute’s (ULI) 2017-2018 Global Awards for Excellence. The Riverwalk’s award honors its merits and economic development impact in the City of Chicago. This is the 19th major award for the Riverwalk.
Mayor Emanuel said, “The City of Chicago has always embraced our lakeshore like no other city and the Chicago Riverwalk has helped us embrace the Chicago River as the city’s newest recreational frontier. We are honored to be recognized for this effort on a global level and will continue to build on our success in generating economic growth for the city and creating new recreational opportunities for residents and visitors.”
Winners of the Global Awards for Excellence were selected by an international jury made up of ULI members representing a multidisciplinary collection of real estate development expertise including finance, land planning, development, public affairs, design and other professional services. Submissions are evaluated on various criteria including leadership, contribution to the community, innovations, public/private partnerships, environmental protection and enhancement, response to social needs and financial viability.
This year’s winners include:
- Azkuna Zentroa in Bilbao, Spain;
- Buffalo Bayou Park in Houston, Texas;
- Downtown Allentown Revitalizaition District in Allentown, Pennsylvania;
- Emeryville Center of Community Life in Emeryville, California;
- Half Moon Village in Half Moon Bay, California; Kashiwa-no-ha Smart City in Kashiwa City, Japan; Marine Gateway in Vancouver, Canada; Milwaukee RiverWalk in Milwaukee, Wisconsin;
- Oasia Hotel Downtown in Singapore, Singapore; Pearl in San Antonio, Texas; and
- University Center- The New School in New York, New York and West Don Lands in Toronto, Canada.
For additional information about the Chicago Riverwalk, visit www.chicagoriverwalk.us.