CHICAGO—(ENEWSPF)—March 9, 2018
By: Rosemary Piser
As the bipartisan Gun Dealer Licensing Act (SB 1657) awaits Governor Rauner’s signature, Mayor Rahm Emanuel has highlighted the many businesses and professional services that require a state license in order to operate in Illinois.
For example, any business that wishes to sell alcohol or tobacco in Illinois must be licensed by the state. Likewise, sellers of fireworks and other pyrotechnic devices must register with the state. So must barbers and professional hair braiders, as well as those wishing to sell wholesale fish and exotic aquatic life.
Despite the fact that Illinois has no requirement that gun dealers be licensed by the state, Governor Bruce Rauner continues to refuse to sign this bipartisan, commonsense piece of legislation.
Mayor Emanuel said, “Any Illinois business that wants to sell liquor or tobacco, eggs or wholesale aquatic life, or to cut and braid hair, must be licensed by the state. Why should gun dealers be any exception? This isn’t difficult: if we can license barber shops, we can license gun dealers.”
Businesses or professional services requiring a license to operate in the State of Illinois include:
- The Illinois Liquor Control commission licenses businesses who sell liquor.
- The Illinois Department of Revenue licenses those who sell cigarettes and tobacco products.
- The Illinois Department of Agriculture licenses anyone who grades, packs, sells or barters eggs.
- The Illinois Department of Natural Resources licenses those who run a wholesale fish market or sell protected/indigenous aquatic life wholesale.
- The Illinois State Fire Marshal licenses pyrotechnic distributors and operators.
- The Illinois Department of National Resources licenses outfitters, campground and mobile home park operators.
- The Illinois Department of Agriculture licenses aviary (i.e. beekeeper) operators.
- The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation licenses barbers and hair braiders.