Park Forest, IL-(ENEWSPF)- Nominating petition forms for the April 9, 2013 Board of Education election in Park Forest-Chicago Heights School District 163 are now available. Forms may be picked up from Deean Philbin in the District Office at 242 S. Orchard Drive, Park Forest, on any business day between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Four seats on the seven-member Board will be filled at the April election. Each seat is a four-year term. To be eligible to serve, a school board member must be, on the date of election:
- a citizen of the United States.
- at least 18 years of age.
- a registered voter.
- a resident of the State of Illinois and the Park Forest-Chicago Heights School District 163 for at least one year immediately preceding the election.
Important dates for candidates:
- the time to circulate nominating petitions for signatures began on Tuesday, September 25, 2012.
- the filing period begins at 8:00 a.m., Monday, December 17, 2012.
- the last day for filing is 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 24, 2012, in the District Office. Candidates’ names will appear on the election ballot in the order in which their nominating papers are received in the District Office by Mrs. Philbin.
- the last day for filing objections to a candidate’s nominating papers in the District Office, Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
- the last day for a candidate to withdraw from nomination, Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
Elections are nonpartisan and board candidates do not indicate a political party affiliation. Candidates should be aware of financial conflict-of-interest limitations set forth in state law.
Nominating papers may be filed by the candidate in person, by mail or by an agent. They consist of the following:
- Nominating petitions signed by at least 50 voters residing within District 163. Petitions must be securely bound together with pages numbered consecutively, and each page must carry the notarized signature of the petition circulator.
- Statement of candidacy, which includes a request that the candidate’s name be placed on the official ballot, the address of the candidate, the office sought, and a statement that the candidate is qualified for the office and has filed (or will file before the close of the petition filing period) a statement of economic interests as noted above.
- A receipt from the Cook County Clerk showing that the candidate has filed the statement of economic interests as noted above.
- A loyalty oath, which is optional. A candidate may choose to file it or not.
Further information on becoming a candidate in the April 9, 2013 election may be obtained by contacting Mrs. Philbin at (708) 668-9422.