PITTSBURGH–(ENEWSPF)–April 26, 2012. Occupy Pittsburgh is calling for workers, students and the unemployed to gather for a rally and march at 5:30 on May 1, 2012, at Freedom Corner (the intersection of Center Ave and Crawford St).
Demonstrators will join together in solidarity with millions of people in the United States who have been thrown out on the streets due to home foreclosures, the millions without access to health care and the 30 million who are unemployed or underemployed. College students are being forced out of school because of skyrocketing tuition. Hundreds of thousands of teachers and public service workers are being laid off while the 1% receives billions of dollars in financial bailouts, and while trillions of dollars have gone to fund wars around the globe.
Working people cannot afford to continue paying for the economic crisis the 1% has created!
This May Day we will rally and march to:
- Say no to austerity measures: No to cuts on public transit, health-care, education and social services.
- No to tuition hikes and foreclosures!
- Demand money for jobs, education and health care, not wars and military occupations.
- Stand up against attacks on unions and the right to organize!
- Resist all forms of oppression of workers, immigrants and the poor!
- Say no to police brutality, mass incarceration and deportations!
This event is co-sponsored by:
Amalgamated TransitUnion(ATU) Local 85
Industrial Workers of the World
International Socialist Organization
Pittsburghers for Public Transit
The Party for Socialism and Liberation
United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 23
Workers International League