Fairfax, VA–(ENEWSPF)–August 26, 2011. Taking steps to get ready in advance of storms can help homeowners minimize property damage and protect their family. Allstate (NYSE: ALL) encourages everyone to develop a plan well before a hurricane threatens their community by understanding their insurance coverage and developing an evacuation strategy for your family and your pets.
Allstate suggests homeowners consider the following tips:
- Conduct a home inventory of your possessions. It’s helpful to keep track of model numbers and stores where items were purchased. Store your inventory, including photos and videos, in a safe place away from your home.
- Develop an evacuation plan that includes identification of safe areas, escape routes, meeting locations and plans for pets.
- Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit including a three-day supply of water, non-perishable food, radio and batteries, flashlight and first-aid kit.
- Remove any diseased and damaged limbs from trees to keep them from blowing around during a storm and causing property or automobile damage.
- Purchase materials such as plywood that can be used to reinforce your windows, doors and garage doors. Install anchors and pre-drill holes for the plywood so you can install them quickly in the event of a storm.
- Install head and foot bolts in doors for extra protection.
Minimize your losses
- Review your home insurance policy and coverage limits with an agent. Know what you are and are not covered for in the event of a hurricane.
- Ask your insurance agent about flood insurance. This coverage is only offered through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program, but policies are sold and managed by private insurance companies like Allstate. Keep in mind that coverage does not take effect until 30 days after purchase.
- Find out if you have comprehensive auto coverage for damage to your car caused by falling objects or flood.
- Gather important documents such as insurance policies, birth certificates and identification. Make sure to place them in a waterproof container.
There’s an App for That. Allstate’s latest iPhone application, “Digital Locker,” can help you create a home inventory. Free and available to any iPhone user, the home inventory tool makes it easy to catalog belongings and keep that vital information in one handy location – right in your pocket.
For more information on preparing for catastrophes, visit our website at www.allstate.com/catastrophe.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer known for its “You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®” slogan. Now celebrating its 80th anniversary as an insurer, Allstate is reinventing protection and retirement to help nearly 16 million households insure what they have today and better prepare for tomorrow. Consumers access Allstate insurance products (auto, home, life and retirement) and services through Allstate agencies, independent agencies, and Allstate exclusive financial representatives in the U.S. and Canada, as well as via www.allstate.com and 1-800 Allstate®.