70.3 F
Park Forest
Wednesday, July 6, 2022

UN Rights Chief Deplores ‘Reprehensible’ Violence Against Yemeni Civilians

NEW YORK–(ENEWSPF)–31 May 2011.  The United Nations human rights chief today condemned the intensified use of force against anti-Government protestors in Yemen, amid reports that over 50 people have been killed since Sunday in the city of Taiz and hundreds more have been injured.

According to unconfirmed reports received by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), the Yemeni Army, Republican Guards and other Government-affiliated elements forcibly destroyed the protest camp in Horriya Square in Taiz using water cannons, bulldozers and live ammunition.

“Such reprehensible acts of violence and indiscriminate attacks on unarmed civilians by armed security officers must stop immediately,” High Commissioner Navi Pillay said in a news release. “I urge all sides to cease the use of force and I remind the Government of its responsibility to ensure that the fundamental human rights of its citizens are protected.”

In addition to the deaths and injuries, at least 100 people are believed to have been arrested over the weekend in Taiz, while dozens remain unaccounted for. Ms. Pillay called on the Government to investigate cases of disappearances and the reports of ill-treatment, torture and killings, and to bring perpetrators to justice.

She also noted reports that security forces had occupied Al-Safa hospital in Taiz, that the field clinic in Horriya Square had been burned and that there was little or no access to emergency medical care.

“Adequate humanitarian access must be provided to all who need it – the Government is obliged to ensure this,” she said. “Medical staff and facilities must never be targeted by security forces.”

Last week OHCHR had called on the Government to stop its deadly crackdown amid the renewed fighting which began after Yemen’s President, Ali Abdullah Saleh, refused for a third time to sign a deal to transfer power amid the pro-democracy protests that began earlier this year.

The Office warned that the escalating violence in Yemen may push the country to the brink of civil war.

The High Commissioner noted that the humanitarian situation in the capital, Sana’a, – where security forces reportedly continued to use force to disperse protesters – also remained difficult.

Ms. Pillay also voiced concern about reports of civilian casualties, including children, and mass displacement in the southern coastal town of Zinjibar.

“Further violence will only yield more insecurity and move the country further away from a resolution to this political crisis,” she stressed. “I urge all parties to continue efforts aimed at finding a peaceful solution to this conflict. The bloodshed must stop.”  

Source: un.org

Recent Articles

Stay Connected

3,817FansLike
1,271FollowersFollow
572SubscribersSubscribe

- Local Advertisements -

ENEWSPF NEWS ALERTS

Currently Trending

Park Forest
scattered clouds
70.3 ° F
71.3 °
68.7 °
94 %
1.3mph
40 %
Wed
81 °
Thu
83 °
Fri
75 °
Sat
80 °
Sun
79 °

About Google Ads

The Google-supplied ads that appear on this website are not reviewed ahead of time and differ for each visitor. If anything offensive, inappropriate, or otherwise unwholesome appears, please notify us so we can take steps to block that specific advertiser. Email the URL or advertiser name to [email protected].