SPRINGFIELD–(ENEWSPF)–June 23, 2011. The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) is relocating its Veterans’ Service Office in Taylorville. Beginning at 12 noon today (June 22nd), the office at 105 East Main Cross will be closed. It is scheduled to re-open on Monday, June 27th in its new location at 1100 North Cheney, also in Taylorville.
The Taylorville Veterans’ Service Office is part of a statewide system that serves more than 1.3 million veterans by increasing awareness of available state and federal benefits. Offices are staffed by a Veterans’ Service Officers (VSOs) who provide accurate, up-to-date information, answer questions, assist with paperwork and filing of claims for federal, state and local benefits completely free of charge.
Assistance provided by VSOs includes:
• Compensation benefits and Document Assistance – Combat and service-related bonus payments and compensation, DD214 certificates.
• Survivor and burial benefits – Graves registration, grave markers.
• Educational benefits – G.I. Bill, Troops to Teachers, Scholarships.
• Employment benefits – Employment preference, Jobs for Vets program.
• Real Estate and Permits – Homestead and Disabled Veterans Standard Homestead exemptions, Adapted Housing exemptions, camping and admissions fees, hunting and fishing licenses.
• Referral assistance – Facilitating access to federal VA health care and counseling services.
• Illinois Veterans Homes – Assist in applying for admission to one of four state-managed homes throughout Illinois.
For more information, please visit www.veterans.illinois.gov or call 1-800-437-9824.