Park Forest, IL–(ENEWSPF)– August 31, 2009. School is back in session, which means school buses and school children are prominent on our streets. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when you are out and about around town:
- When backing out of a driveway or leaving a garage, watch for children walking or bicycling to school.
- When driving in neighborhoods with school zones, watch out for young people who may be focused on getting to school but may not be thinking about safety.
- Slow down. Watch for children playing and gathering near bus stops or walking in the street, especially if there are no sidewalks.
- Be alert. Children arriving late for the bus may dart into the street without looking for traffic.
- Learn and obey the school bus laws.
- It is unlawful to pass a stopped school bus when its stop signal arm is extended.
Source: Park Forest Fire Department