New York–(ENEWSPF)–April 9, 2012. Public interest in the tax rate of Warren Buffet’s secretary, Mitt Romney’s capital gains, and the rise of super wealthy supporters of Super PACs all point to an undeniable fact facing the United States: Our tax system is one that favors the wealthy and powerful increasingly at the expense of our democracy. Demos, the nonpartisan progressive policy center, and its publishing partner The American Prospect will examine questions of unfairness and inequality in the tax system in a six day-series.
“Taxes Matter 2012” is running on Prospect.org the week ahead of Federal Tax Day (April 9th-17th) and will feature analyses from Demos’ policy experts and will a set of info-graphics available for distribution.
Articles to be published include the following:
- Washington, We Have A Revenue Problem: Why Taxes Have To Go Up – By A Lot — Robert Hiltonsmith & David Callahan
- An Agenda For Taxing Wall Street — Wallace C. Turbeville
- Why Corporate Tax Reform Should Be Revenue Positive — Jack Temple
- Tax Inequality Is Worse In The States — Robert Hiltonsmith
- Top Ten “Tax Fairness” Facts
HOW TO CONNECT: To receive the daily “Taxes Matter” infographics and articles, sign up for our weekly updates here.
ABOUT “TAXES MATTER” WEEK: Every year during federal tax season, Demos works to shift the conversation around taxes and the common good. During “Taxes Matter” week, Demos experts unpack the anti-tax narratives that would unravel the civic institutions that have made America great and that were made possible by tax revenue.