Fire Safety Tips for a Safe Winter

Park Forest, IL–(ENEWSPF)– The Village of Park Forest Fire Department reminds residents to put safety first this winter when heating your home. Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fires each year. Many of these fires can be prevented. The following are some important safety tips to remember:

  • When buying a new space heater, make sure it carries the mark of an independent testing laboratory and be sure to have fixed space heaters installed by a qualified technician according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Keep and maintain a 3 foot clearance between all heating equipment and anything that can burn.
  • Portable space heaters should be turned off every time you leave the room and when you go to bed.
  • Have any gas-fueled heating device installed with proper attention to ventilation.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, chimney connectors and all other solid-fueled heating equipment inspected annually by a professional and cleaned as often as inspections suggest. Use only wood that is properly seasoned to reduce creosote build-up.
  • If your power is out, avoid using candles for light. Use flashlights instead to reduce the possibility of an accidental fire.
  • Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
  • Test smoke alarms monthly and install and maintain a carbon monoxide alarm within 15 feet of all sleeping areas.

Source: VOPF.COM