CHICAGO–(ENEWSPF)–March 24, 2017. This Sunday, Chicago’s 49th Ward Alderman Joe Moore will be joining with other area elected officials to sponsor another in his series of “Know Your Rights” Workshops for immigrants, refugees, their friends and supporters and concerned neighborhood residents. The workshop will take place Sunday, March 26, at 2:00 p.m. at the Gale School Auditorium, 1631 W. Jonquil in Chicago. Simultaneous translations in Spanish and Arabic will be provided.
This will be our most comprehensive workshop to date on the rights of immigrants and refugees in the current climate.
Experts from organizations that represent and advocate for immigrants in our nation will be on hand to provide you the latest information on your rights and respond to your questions. These experts include:
- JuanCamilo Parrado, National Immigrant Justice Center;
- Marcelino Miranda Aceves,Consulate of Mexico;
- Debbie Schell, Consulate of Belize;
- Suzanne Akhras Sahloul, Syrian Community Network; and
- Norman White, City of Chicago Commission on Human Relations.
In addition, representatives from the following government offices and not-for-profit agencies will provide an overview of the services their organizations provide:
- Ngoan Le, Illinois Department of Human Services–Immigrant and Refugee Services
- Michael Krepps, Ethiopian Community Association of Chicago;
- Daysi Funes, Centro Romero; and
- Rebecca Ramirez, Northside Community Resources.
Though President Trump’s second attempt at a Muslim immigration ban has been stopped by the courts, we cannot be complacent. One way to resist is to know your rights as an immigrant or refugee. Recently volunteers fanned out across the neighborhood, knocking on doors and working L stations and grocery stores, giving our immigrant neighbors information about their rights if they are confronted by a law enforcement officer. You can download the flier here.
Source: Office of Alderman Joe Moore