Illinoisans Demand Immediate Action on Sensible Gun Safety Legislation
CHICAGO –(ENEWSPF)—October 9, 2017
By: Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, Indivisible Illinois
Progressive Illinois organizations partner to rally against the National Rifle Association and demand that Congress immediately address gun reform on Monday, October 9, 2017, 4:30-5:30 p.m., at Federal Plaza, 219 S. Dearborn Street, Chicago.
Victims and survivors of the Las Vegas massacre will also be honored by demanding that elected officials reject the NRA’s extreme agenda and close current gun purchase loopholes at shows, online, and via private sales. This rally calls on our elected representatives to talk about gun violence protection NOW, and:
1) Publicly reject and return NRA campaign donations. Politicians work for citizens, not lobbies.
2) Vote for common sense gun laws to emphasize the Second Amendment’s “well-regulated” language.
3) Perform the will of their constituents and enact reasonable gun laws regarding limiting amount of guns purchased, magazine capacity limitations, required mental health checks and waiting periods, and the like. Only 3% of Americans own 50% of guns, and 78% of Americans own no guns, so representatives must reflect the will of the majority.
“After several decades and thousands of preventable, senseless American gun murders, we do not accept the ‘thoughts and prayers’ response anymore,” said Indivisible Illinois’ Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth. “While we also send our deep condolences to the victim’s friends and families, we also demand real action to reduce and regulate guns in this country. The NRA’s propaganda talking points such as these domestic terrorists attacks would be prevented ‘if there was a good guy with a gun in the area’ hold absolutely no merit, especially after the Las Vegas sniper attack. We will not be bullied into losing our freedoms like this anymore and we will not be silenced. NOW is the time to talk gun safety.”
Slated Rally and Vigil speakers include:
- Representative Luis Gutierrez (IL-4); Representative Mike Quigley (IL-5); Representative Jan Schakowsky (IL-9)
- Gubernatorial candidate Daniel Biss (D); Gubernatorial candidate Ameya Pawar (D)
- Representative candidate Marie Newman (IL-3)
- Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, Indivisible Illinois; Jessica Droeger, Indivisible Chicago
- Brenna O’Brien, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
- Mark Walsh, Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence
- Mrinalini Chakraborty, Women’s March Illinois; Cora Haworth, Youth Ambassador for Women’s March
- Bradley Johnson, BUILD Chicago; Maria Pike, Everytown Survivor Network
- B’Rael Ali, artist and poet for National Youth Art Movement Against Gun Violence
- Reverend Veronica Johnson, Greater Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church
- Frederick Alexander, Original 63rd Street Beach Drummers Circle & Resident Association of Greater Englewood (RAGE); singer China Gray
If you cannot attend the event in person, it will be live streamed at: http://cantv.org.
Event Hashtags: #RejectTheNRA #OurOneJob
Participants include: Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Illinois Gun Violence Prevention Coalition, Indivisible Chicago, Indivisible Illinois, Women’s March Illinois, Women’s March Chicago, Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence, People for a Safer Society, Broader Urban Involvement & Leadership Development (BUILD) Chicago, National Youth Art Movement Against Gun Violence, and Friends Who March.
Indivisible fuels a progressive grassroots movement to defeat the Trump agenda. Across the nation, over 5,800 local groups (at least two in every congressional district) use the Indivisible Guide to hold Congress accountable.