Autism Support Specialists, Kim Knight and Lori O’Neil, were served coffee and biscotti by Director of Advancement and Communications, Amy Chmura during DSP Appreciation week. (PHOTO SUPPLIED)
Alsip, IL–(ENEWSPF)–October 18, 2012. Sertoma Centre celebrated National Direct Support Professional Appreciation Week September 9 – 15, by recognizing the 115 Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) who are committed to serving individuals with disabilities at Sertoma.
At Sertoma Centre, individuals with developmental, physical, or emotional disabilities and/or mental illness are provided services in a variety of areas including vocational training, day programs and residential care. Developing essential skills for an independent, productive life is the mission of Sertoma Centre, Inc.
Special activities and surprises were planned for each day of the weeklong celebration.
- On Monday, all DSP staff received “Great People” buttons and banners were hung at all the Sertoma locations thanking “Great People Doing Great Things”.
- Tuesday included a “Lunch on Us Raffle” where winners at each location received a gift for a free lunch.
- On Wednesday there were beautiful cakes served at the Sertoma locations and cupcakes for the CILA homes.
- Thursday morning, DSPs enjoyed complimentary coffee and snacks served in the staff lounge – which was decorated like a Coffee Cafe.
- The finale on Friday included a tailgate lunch and Jersey day – which featured grilled burgers and dogs, plus tons of delicious side dishes provided by Sertoma Staff.
Sandra Baker, a Direct Support Professional with Sertoma for eight years said, “[The week was] very nice, and much appreciated. Thanks to all who took the time to make us feel appreciated.”
Sertoma Centre, Inc. is extremely proud of their DSP staff and thank them for the “Great” Work they do each day.
For more information regarding Sertoma Centre, to schedule a tour, volunteer, or to make a donation, please contact Amy Chmura, Director of Advancement and Communications, (708)730-6206 or [email protected]. at Sertoma Centre, 4343 West 123rd Street, Alsip, IL 60803. www.sertomacentre.org.