Park Forest, IL-(ENEWSPF)- The Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy is currently accepting applications for the fall program.
The program helps area residents further their understanding of the community and its leadership by:
Exposing participants to a host of current and future area leaders
- Challenging participants to critically think about how to resolve important issues impacting the community
- Developing cohorts of participants highly interested in better understanding how to make a difference
- Sparking dialogue about topics like arts, economic development, education, finance, local government, policing, and more.
To be considered, applicants must:
- Be a Park Forest resident
- Submit an application before July 31
- Be available on the second Friday of the month, September through May
- Submit a program fee of $100 by Sept. 1
Civic Leadership Academy Overview
Park Forest’s new Civic Leadership Academy puts you in the driver’s seat of decision-making at the local level. Meet the leaders, hear their stories, and take part in informational briefings on the realities and challenges of local government and civic operations.
In this highly educational, interactive nine-month academy, you’ll:
- Explore your ability to critically think about how to resolve important issues impacting the community.
- Be part of a select group of diverse participants all focused on the same goal: to further your understanding of your community.
- Take part in an invaluable networking opportunity where you’ll be exposed to a host of current and future area leaders.
High School & College Students
The Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy is a great resume builder and illustrates your commitment to being a leader. Your involvement in the program is perfect for strengthening your college applications for undergraduate or graduate programs.
High school students, with permission from the guidance office, are credited with excused absences one Friday a month to participate in the program.
Adults | Working Professionals & Job Seekers
The Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy exposes working professionals to numerous area organizations and leadership. Through a host of networking opportunities and information sharing, you’ll graduate from the academy with professional contacts, professional development hours, and involvement in a leadership development program – all highly appealing to current and prospective employers.
Conflicts with working hours and program hours can sometimes be eliminated by a work supervisor granting permission to take part in the program by adjusting your hours accordingly or considering the hours you participate in the program as professional development hours.
For many, retirement does not mean the end of involvement in the community. In fact, retirement can sometimes mark a new beginning for involvement in the community. Seniors looking for opportunities to become more engaged in Park Forest, or interested in simply learning more about their community, have found the Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy ideal for gaining exposure to a number of area groups and organizations.
Civic Leadership Academy Benefits
- Enhance your leadership skills
- Gain a broad perspective of the community
- Strengthen your network, resume, and, if you’re a high school student, your college admissions applications by participating
This is a release from the Village of Park Forest.