Matteson, IL–(ENEWSPF)– Students in Matteson Elementary School District 162 recently demonstrated their math skills in two south suburban math competitions.
The District’s seventh grade team placed third and the eighth grade team placed fifth at the South Suburban Middle School Math Competition held at Providence Catholic High School. Seventh grade Huth Middle School student Grant Williams won a second place individual ranking at the competition. Twelve schools participated in the event.
The seventh grade team members were Huth students Grant Williams, Sophia Lam and Robert Schaeffer. The eighth grade team included Huth students Sarah Maier, Loni Sneed, Sydney Pickens, Henry Steven Sissac, Morgan Brown, Kennedy Carter, Alexis Williams, Kayla King, Chioma Ndukwe, and Kourtney Hodges.
District 162 students also participated in the South Suburban Math Bowl held at Prairie State College. Huth seventh grader Grant Williams won a third place individual ranking and Arcadia first grade student Josiah Griggs won a fifth place individual ranking. Arcadia second grade student Kennedy Jones and Indiana School sixth grade student Christian Williams were each named Most Valuable Player by their team members. The 7th/8th grade team placed seventh in the event. Twenty-eight school districts were repsented at the South Suburban Math Bowl and 384 students competed.
The District 162 Math Bowl teams included:
- 1st Grade: Josiah Griggs – Arcadia
- 1st Grade: Kyle Willard – Matteson
- 2nd Grade: Kennedy Jones – Arcadia
- 2nd Grade: Matthew McGowan – Arcadia
- 3rd Grade: Ramon Cross-Hurd – Arcadia
- 3rd Grade: Ameer Kellogg – Arcadia
- 4th Grade: Bryce Smith – Indiana
- 4th Grade: Dejah Pate – Sauk
- 5th Grade: Joshua Randle El – Indiana
- 5th Grade: Sean Robinson – Sauk
- 6th Grade: Christian Davis – Indiana
- 6th Grade: Christian Williams – Indiana
- 7th Grade: Grant Williams – Huth
- 7th Grade: Sophia Lam – Huth
- 8th Grade: Chioma Ndukwe – Huth
- 8th Grade: Sarah Maier – Huth