Rich East’s No. 1 sisters, Tiara (No. 1 in her junior class) and Tavia (No. 1 in her senior class) Smith. (PHOTO SUPPLIED)
Park Forest, IL–(ENEWSPF)- eNews Park Forest is pleased to continue with our series of stellar students from Rich East High School. Mr. Kevin Kredens, the school’s publicity liaison, gave each student a series of the same questions. All responses are in the students’ exact words, except for minor editing for content and space when needed.
We are pleased to feature Tiara and Tavia Smith, currently number one students in their junior and senior classes respectively.
Meet Tiara Smith, Number 1 in her junior class:
- Are you a Park Forest Resident? How long? Yes. I have lived in Park Forest for 10 years.
- At Rich East all four years? If not, where else? Yes. Well three years, I’m a junior.
- So you and your sister Tiara are both No 1 in your class. How did that happen? Was it planned? It wasn’t planned. I’ve always gotten good grades and I guess my hard work is paying off. I think it’s the same with Tavia.
- Do you have a little rivalry going? Has that always been the case? In some instances, there is a rivalry, like “who can do this faster or better.” But when it comes to grades I don’t think there’s a rivalry. We’re just doing our own thing.
- Are you best friends as well as sisters? What do you like to do in spare time as friends/sisters to take a break from the rigors of school? I won’t say we’re best friends, but we’re really, really close. I don’t tell her everything, but she knows a lot about me. When we’re outside of school, we don’t do anything special. We just act really goofy!
- What do you like the most about Rich East? Definitely the people. The teachers have amazing personalities and the students are nice.
- Favorite classes and why? Physics, because I get to annoy my teacher!
- Favorite teachers? Why? Ms. (Carmen) Pierce because she really knows Spanish and she pushes you to reach your full potential; Mr. (Steven) Lane because he’s easy to open up to; Ms. (Jackie) Stone…she’s just amazing.
- GPA/Class Rank? GPA is a 4.0/1st of 224
- ACT: I have yet to take it but on my last test I got a 27.
- Areas met or exceeded on PSAE? Will take it in April.
- AP Exams/Scores: I’m in AP American Studies (English and History) now.
- What are you listening to on your iPod these days? I listen to all kinds of music except Country. I hate Country music. My favorite two songs right now are “Say It’s So” my Mateo and “4 a.m.” my Melanise Fiona.
- What is the last book you have read? The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams.
- Favorite TV Shows: Parenthood, So You think You can Dance, One Tree Hill.
- Places that you’d most like to visit? Switzerland, Australia, Brazil.
- Activities/Clubs participated in/Special awards: Mathletes, National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society (I’m president).
- Clubs, hobbies, community/church, Special volunteering in community? I’m one of Jehovah’s Witnesses so I participate in field services (preaching to others). I also tutor and babysit. I also love playing piano. I’ve been playing for 10 years.
- College choice/major: I want to be an ON nurse. I’m not sure which college I want to attend, but I’m thinking about the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Where do you want to be in five years/In ten years? In five years, hopefully I’ll have just graduated college. In 10 years, hopefully I’ll be married and delivering babies. 🙂
Meet Tavia Smith, Number 1 in her senior class:
- Are you a Park Forest Resident? How long? Yes. I have lived here 10 years.
- At Rich East all four years? If not, where else? Yup. All four years.
- So you and your sister Tiara are both No 1 in your class. How did that happen? Was it planned? We both study hard and are really focused on our schoolwork. Our parents always want us to work hard. It definitely wasn’t planned.
- Do you have a little rivalry going? Has that always been the case? Yes, there’s a little rivalry. BTW: Who’s smarter, I think I am, although at some times during the day, I’m really slow. I’m still the smartest!
- Are you best friends as well as sisters? What do you like to do in spare time as friends/sisters to take a break from the rigors of school? We’re not ‘best friends’ but we are definitely sisters. We watch TV together of just talk.
- What do you like the most about Rich East? Definitely some of the teachers and the close friends that I do have.
- Favorite classes and why? Physics, Engineering design and English.
- Favorite teachers? Why? Ms. (Marisa) Ptak: She’s really a cool person; Mr. (Rocco) Rado: He’s really funny and smart; Ms. (Sara) Smado: She’s really cool in her teaching skills; Mr. (Mark) Adamczyk: The smartest physics guy ever and his jokes are hilarious.
- GPA/Class Rank? GPA is a 4.435/1st of 197
- ACT: 26
- Areas met or exceeded on PSAE? Exceeded in reading, Met in Mathematics, Science and Writing.
- AP Exams/Scores: United States History 4, English Composition 3.
- What are you listening to on your iPod these days? Coldplay/LMFAO, Hollywood Undead, Bruno Mars, Young the Giant, Rihanna.
- What is the last book you have read? Hamlet.
- Favorite TV Shows: So You Think You Can Dance and Glee.
- Places that you’d most like to visit? Italy, Japan, Brazil, Dominican Republic.
- Activities/Clubs participated in/Special awards: Honors for Academics, Outstanding Biology and Chemistry student, straight A’s for seven semesters; President of National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, SECME, Mathletes.
- Clubs, hobbies, community/church, Special volunteering in community? Helped tutor kids in the community, Always out preaching to people on the weekends due to being a Jehovah’s Witness, Recently joined Habitat for Humanity where we help to repair foreclosed homes. I started January 17.
- College choice/major: Illinois Institute of Technology or the University of Illinois at Chicago. I plan to major in computer engineering.
- Where do you want to be in five years/In ten years? In five years I plan to be just our of college, starting my career at Google or Apple designing computer hardware; In 10 years, probably married and still pursuing my career at a stable company.