Sauk: A New Look… Unlimited Possibilities
Matteson, IL–(ENEWSPF)– Moving forward with the plans for an addition at Sauk School, the Board of Education authorized the issuance of $3,500,000 in Debt Certificates at Tuesday’s meeting. Of this amount, $2.3 million will fund the proposed plans for Sauk School, which include a new entrance on the east side of the building, a commons/multipurpose room (which will be equivalent to the size of the commons at Huth), performing arts lab and washroom facilities. The remaining dollars will fund other projects in the District such as the installation of univents at Huth Middle School and Indiana School, said Business Manager John Gibson. He noted that these Debt Certificates would be paid off with the issuance of General Obligation Bonds this spring.
Eric Olson of Arcon Architects said that the bids for the Sauk project were advertised on November 17 and the bid opening was scheduled for December 2. Board approval on the bids will be sought at the December 16 meeting and construction will begin soon after this action. Mr. Olson said the addition is scheduled for completion August 1, 2009. Sauk Principal Michael Bauer said the former main entrance would serve as the entrance for fifth grade students and the office area at that entrance’s location would be used by support staff such as occupational and physical therapists.
“Each addition that we build demonstrates to our community how we value our children,” said Superintendent Blondean Y. Davis. “Our hope is that the community feels that its tax dollars are well used and that our community members will be as proud of Sauk’s new look as we will be.”
Dr. Davis announced that the annual Winter Chorus Concert has been rescheduled from December 3 to December 17. It will begin at 7:00 p.m. at Governors State University.
Plans for Weather Emergencies
In preparation for winter weather, Dr. Davis reviewed the District’s three response levels to bad weather conditions. She said that parents have received letters regarding this and information is posted on Edline. Under Level One, the schools are open, but slow, steady progress for a safe arrival is emphasized. Dr. Davis noted that while there have been concerns about recent bus service; Kickert does transport the children in warm buses. At Level Two, schools are closed and after school activities and BASE are canceled, but the District Office is open. Families would know of this decision by 6:00 p.m. on the day prior to closing the schools. At Level Three, all schools and the District Office are closed. Dr. Davis said that schools would never close early to ensure that children are not stranded outside upon an early arrival home.
In Other Business…
In other business, the Board approved:
- the estimated 2008 levy, which is $18,443,793 (minus the Bond and Interest levy)
- appointing the law firm of Franczek Radelet & Rose to represent the District in proceedings before the Property Tax Appeal Board involving appeals of property valuation that is $100,000 or greater.
- Gatekeepeer Administration & Consulting as the third party administrator overseeing the District’s 403B plans
- the following field trips for Huth Middle School and Illinois School: April 9 – 14, Washington D.C., April 24, Cincinnati, Ohio, and May 15, Six Flags Great America Theme Park
- the resignation of Kevin Schouten, assistant principal at Arcadia School, effective October 30, 2008.
- the contract with Nicole Kiwior as a speech and language paraprofessional.
- the medical leave under Family and Medical Leave Act for Vicki Green, teacher at Matteson School, effective November 5, 2008, for an estimated eight weeks.
- the maternity leave under Family and Medical Leave Act for Sarah Albano, teacher at Matteson School, effective November 17, 2008, through February 9, 2009.
- the maternity leave under Family and Medical Leave Act for Sonja Gibson, teacher at Indiana School, effective November 7, 2008, with a return date of August 2009.
- the maternity leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act for Elizabeth Babiarz, teacher at Richton Square School, effective October 18, 2008, with an anticipated return date of January 5, 2009.
- the maternity leave for Terese Arroyo, Richton Square School teacher, effective August 5 through September 30, 2008, and an unpaid leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act from October 1 to November 10, 2008.
- Board of Education Meeting, December 16, 2008, 7:00 p.m., District Office
- District Winter Chorus Concert at Governors State University, December 17, 2008, 7:00 p.m.
- Winter Break, December 22 – January 2
- School Resumes, January 5, 2009
Board of Education
Alicia Rodman McCray, President, Ron Bean, Vice President, Kevin Murphy, Secretary
Evelyn Green, Shirley Green, Karen McCray, Felix Simpkins
Dr. Blondean Y. Davis
Source: Matteson School District 162