27.5 F
Park Forest
Monday, December 5, 2022
The Free Press Isn't Free. Like what you see? Please subscribe.

Wheels Begin Turning for Shabbona Drive Makeover

Shabbona Drive, Indianwood Boulevard
Shabbona Drive is scheduled for major improvements from Sauk Trail to Indianwood Boulevard. (Photo: Gary Kopycinski)

Park Forest, IL-(ENEWSPF)- The wheels are turning for a Shabbona Drive makeover from Sauk Trail to Indianwood Boulevard. In November, the Village Board approved a resolution to appropriate $233,170 in Motor Fuel Tax funds for preliminary/design engineering costs associated with improvements for Shabbona Drive.

This phase of the project will largely be grant-funded, with 80%, or $186,536, coming from the federal government. The remaining 20%, or $46,634, will come from Motor Fuel Tax [MFT] funds.

“Roadway improvements to Shabbona Drive are eligible for federal aid funding through the Surface Transportation Program Urban (STP-U),” Asst. Director of Public Works/Village Engineer Nicholas Christie said in a memo to the Village Board. “The STP funds for the South Suburbs are distributed through the South Suburban Mayors and Managers Association (SSMMA).”

roadway milling, ProjectManhattan
A road being milled during a repaving project. (Photo: ProjectManhattan – CC license)

The entire project calls for the milling, or grinding down and removal of the pavement. Other proposed improvements for the project include, “pavement patching, remove and replace curb and gutter, driveway replacement, sidewalk improvements at intersections, structure adjustments, pavement markings, traffic control, restoration, and any other necessary items,” Mr. Christie said in his memo.

Mr. Christie said the targeted “Letting Date,” or date when construction bids are opened, is September 20, 2019. The first day of fall in 2019 is three days later, September 23. Depending on when bids come in, final construction in the spring or summer of 2020 appears likely.

Shabbona Drive, Sauk Trail, Indianwood Boulevard, road repaving project
The proposed improvements of Shabbona Drive will extend from Sauk Trail to Indianwood Boulevard. (Photo: VOPF)

This phase of the project was approved by the Village Board at its November 19, 2018 meeting.

Comments

Recent Articles

Stay Connected

3,844FansLike
1,263FollowersFollow
586SubscribersSubscribe

Local Advertisers

ENEWSPF NEWS ALERTS

Trending

Park Forest
clear sky
27.5 ° F
30.7 °
25.8 °
78 %
1.9mph
0 %
Mon
41 °
Tue
43 °
Wed
47 °
Thu
50 °
Fri
48 °

About Google Ads

The Google-supplied ads that appear on this website are not reviewed ahead of time and differ for each visitor. If anything offensive, inappropriate, or otherwise unwholesome appears, please notify us so we can take steps to block that specific advertiser. Email the URL or advertiser name to [email protected].