Chicago, IL-(ENEWSPF)- A Chicago man was sentenced to 55 years in prison for kidnapping and sexually assaulting a young woman in back of an abandoned building in 2010, according to the Office of Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez.
Derrick Alexander, 33, was previously convicted of Criminal Sexual Assault and Aggravated Kidnapping charges for abducting a 21-year-old woman in Chicago’s Englewood neighborhood and sexually assaulting her during an incident that occurred on May 16, 2010.
According to prosecutors, the victim was approached from behind by Alexander near 61st and Winchester. The defendant pushed the victim and placed an object in her back that she believed was a gun. The defendant told the victim not to scream and forced her to the backyard of an abandoned house.
According to prosecutors, Alexander then pushed the victim to the ground, sexually assaulted her and then fled the scene. The young woman immediately contacted police and she was transported to Holy Cross Hospital where evidence was collected from a sexual assault kit.
During a subsequent police investigation, the victim identified Alexander as the person who assaulted her in a photo array and a physical lineup. Prosecutors said the defendant, who has a previous conviction for kidnapping, was also linked to this incident by DNA evidence.
Alexander was sentenced during a hearing at the Leighton Criminal Courts Building in Chicago by Cook County Judge Steve Goebel.
State’s Attorney Alvarez thanked Assistant State’s Attorneys Tene McCoy Cummings and Ashley Moore and the Chicago Police Department for their work on this case.