56.7 F
Park Forest
Tuesday, November 29, 2022
The Free Press Isn't Free. Like what you see? Please subscribe.

No Fee Increase in SD 163 for Calculators

sd-163-flowers-wheise-060807

School District 163. (Photo: Wendy Heise)

Park Forest, IL—(ENEWSPF)— Parents of Forest Trail students will not have to add $10 to their fees for new calculators after a ruling by the School District 163 school board on Monday.

Board president Virginia Ford said around 80 percent of the school is on free or reduced lunch.  These students would not be required to pay the extra $10 if the fee was added.

“If 80 percent can get it for free, the other 20 percent would be getting penalized,” Ford said.

Superintendent Joyce Carmine stressed the importance of the calculators for the ISAT test, and the necessity of a class having the same brand for teaching purposes.

The original motion for the fee increase was rejected by a four to two vote, with all members voting except Paul Jasinevicius, who was not in attendance. The motion was amended for the calculators to come from the district’s budget, and was passed with a five to one vote.

Under the plan, on the first year calculators will be bought for students in 6th through 8th grade. The following year calculators will only be issued to incoming 6th grade students to carry through their 8th grade year.

The board also approved the resignation and hiring of several district employees in addition to permits for asbestos abatement and removal at Forest Trail, Beacon Hill Primary Center and 21st Century Preparatory Center. New committee members were also assigned.

During the education committee meeting, the board also took a tour of 21st Century Preparatory Center, Forest Trail Middle School, and Beacon Hill Primary Center where they were able to view building structures and upcoming construction.

Comments

Recent Articles

Stay Connected

3,843FansLike
1,264FollowersFollow
586SubscribersSubscribe

Local Advertisers

ENEWSPF NEWS ALERTS

Trending

Park Forest
overcast clouds
56.7 ° F
57.8 °
54.8 °
87 %
7.4mph
100 %
Wed
57 °
Thu
34 °
Fri
45 °
Sat
55 °
Sun
27 °

About Google Ads

The Google-supplied ads that appear on this website are not reviewed ahead of time and differ for each visitor. If anything offensive, inappropriate, or otherwise unwholesome appears, please notify us so we can take steps to block that specific advertiser. Email the URL or advertiser name to [email protected].