SPRINGFIELD–(ENEWSPF)–August 13, 2014. Illinois EPA Director Lisa Bonnett today announced household hazardous waste collections have been scheduled in six communities for the fall of 2014. Through household hazardous waste collections, citizens are given the opportunity to safely dispose of unused or leftover household products commonly found in homes, basements and garages. Today’s announcement is part of Governor Quinn’s agenda to protect our natural resources and ensure a clean and healthy environment for future generations.
“Community household hazardous waste collections are providing a vital service for local residents,” said Director Bonnett. “Every day, Illinois citizens are doing their part to protect their health and the environment and Illinois EPA is happy to partner with community leaders to provide these collection events.”
Each one-day collection is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the specified Saturday:
• September 6, 2014 Salem, 32 Salem Business Center South, Marion County
• September 20, 2014 Cambridge, County Fairgrounds, 311 East North Street, Henry County
• September 27, 2014 Monticello, 904 Allerton Road, Piatt County
• October 4, 2014 Lombard, Village of Lombard Public Works,
1051 South Hammerschmidt Avenue, DuPage County
• October 11, 2014 Lincoln, County Fairgrounds, 1408 Short 11th Street, Logan County
• October 18, 2014 Oregon, 421 West Pines Road, Ogle County
In addition to the above one-day collections, the Illinois EPA also continues to support the following long-term collection facilities:
• Naperville, Fire Station #4, 1971 Brookdale Road, DuPage County
Hours: Saturdays 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Sundays 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Phone: 630-420-6095
• Rockford, Rock River Reclamation District, 3333 Kishwaukee, Winnebago County
Hours: Saturdays 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Sundays Noon – 4:00 PM, Phone: 815-987-5570
• Chicago, Goose Island, 1150 North Branch, Cook County
Hours: Tuesdays 7:00 AM – Noon, Thursdays 2:00 AM – 7:00 PM, and
First Saturday of every month 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Phone: 312-744-7672
• Gurnee, 1311 N. Estes Street, Lake County *Other collections are held through the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO). Contact SWALCO by phone: 847-336-9340 or website: www.swalco.org for more information.
Since the creation of the household hazardous waste collection program in 1989, nearly 436,000 Illinois households have been served. A total of 786 one-day events have been held, and more than 85,600 fifty-five gallon drums of toxic materials have been collected from Illinois residents.
Through the collections, residents are encouraged to bring oil-based paints, thinners, chemical cleaners, unwanted pharmaceuticals, mercury and mercury-containing items, antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline, kerosene, weed killers, insecticides, pesticides, adhesives, hobby chemicals, household batteries and similar products. Fluorescent and other high-intensity discharge lamps may also be brought to the collections. The public is encouraged to find alternative uses for latex paint since it is not considered hazardous.
Items not accepted include explosives, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, medical waste, sharps, controlled substances, agricultural chemicals and all business wastes. Propane tanks and lead acid auto batteries cannot be accepted at most of the events, but should be taken to local recyclers.