Encouraging people to Get Out and Enjoy, Explore and Protect the Planet
SAN FRANCISCO–(ENEWSPF)–April 2, 2013. Today the Sierra Club launched a new campaign urging people to get outdoors. GET OUT is expanding the conservation movement by creating opportunities for people who care about the environment and the outdoors to connect with one another and spend more time in nature. Through various national, local and online events, GET OUT rounds up a variety of ways to explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Through the month of April, people can join local hikes and outdoor activities, find ways to swap and reuse their outdoor gear , get involved in activist campaigns, bid on celebrity auction items that support the Sierra Club, participate in service and cleanup events, and enter a sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to Hawaii.
“Over the last year, we’ve made great progress addressing the threats of climate disruption, and now is the time to get outside and enjoy the public lands and wild places we work so hard to protect,” said Executive Director Michael Brune. “The GET OUT campaign is all about demonstrating support for environmental protection, getting involved in community activities, and taking time to enjoy and explore the great outdoors.”
GET OUT is a one-stop resource with all the different light and dark green, online and offline ways to get involved and get outdoors:
- GET OUT & Protect – The GET OUT campaigns launches with a collection of hundreds of events around the country that you can take part in to explore, enjoy and protect your community. From local outings and service events, to rallies and online engagement opportunities, there are plenty of ways to get involved.
- GET OUT & Get Inspired – Michael C. Hall, Octavia Spencer, Shailene Woodley, Lauren Conrad, Dermot Mulroney and more wish America a “Happy Earth Day” and share their favorite ways to GET OUT and enjoy, explore and protect the planet in a special video produced by the Sierra Club.
- GET OUT & Win – Sierra Club Founder John Muir believed that if you brought people outside and they fell in love with the land, they would feel inspired to protect it. Enter the 2013 sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to the Four Seasons Resorts Lanai in Hawaii!
- GET OUT & Re-Play – Sierra Club Chapters and Groups will set up local donation check-points around the country for the public to drop off gently used outdoor gear and apparel. All items donated to “Get Out and Re-Play” will be sold on eBay with 100% of sales going to support the local chapters and groups. Log on to www.sierraclub.org/getout to find a drop-off location.
- GET OUT & Explore – Sign up for a Sierra Club Outing! Whether you’re seeking lodge-based explorations or supported treks, backpack journeys leisurely to strenuous, or vacations near home or in far-flung destinations, there are hundreds of new trips to choose from. Need an outing on the go? Download the Sierra Club’s free app, Trail Explorer, which is an easy way to find, record and share information about 40,000 North American trails quickly and easily on your iPhone.
- GET OUT & Learn – The Green Life gathered the best tips and ideas for getting outside, maintaining an active lifestyle and making green decisions at home, at work and at play.
For more information about Earth Day and the Sierra Club’s GET OUT campaign, please visit www.sierraclub.org/getout.
About The Sierra Club
The Sierra Club is America’s largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization with more than 2.1 million members and supporters nationwide. In addition to creating opportunities for people of all ages, levels and locations to have meaningful outdoor experiences, the Sierra Club works to safeguard the health of our communities, protect wildlife, and preserve our remaining wild places through grassroots activism, public education, lobbying and litigation. For more information, visit http://www.sierraclub.org.